Comments

1. hoiyinli says

I think my pressure to look good comes from different places. What doesn’t help is that there are cultural body pressures too…as an Asian or someone deriving from that culture, a lot of us have a small frame so the average demographic is petite. I am a UK size 10 which is already considered fat for an Asian and actually, that’s a size L in most of the East Asian countries which is really sad!

I am probably the biggest I have been right now but actually just average, not slim, not fat? Having said that, I am also the most confident I have ever been so sometimes it’s about building up your confidence to own who you are in flesh and mind. 🙂

Even if a person reaches their ‘ideal body’, there’s no guarantee that will actually make them feel confident. I found myself last year on a merry-go-round of physically progressing but mentally going up and down in insecurity. Once you own who you are and start to see your body as something to love and not hate, that’s usually when you start to feel good.

It is a shame size 10 is considered a size L. That must be so much pressure trying to keep yourself down to one or two dress sizes.

• hoiyinli says

My mum who is around a size 12-14 is considered an XL-XXL in some of the clothes she buys abroad there! It’s so bad. I know realistically I would never be their size S cos I have a slightly bigger frame than most women and my weight tends to fluctuate easily unless I eat VERY cleanly.

Women’s sizing doesn’t take into consideration varying body shapes. I’m always having to choose between loose fitting jeans that require a belt or tightly fit jeans that can feel uncomfortable. An XXL sometimes being a size 14 just pushes unnecessary pressure on women.

I do care about the size as I’m a bit curvy. I’m not fat but not skinny either…just normal. I’m def very health conscious and sticking to a restricted diet but not really happy about my weight. But some outfits/dresses really show my curves and I feel really confident and sexy. I really try not to worry about the size and just find dresses that really fit and look good on me. Esp the ones that really boost my confidence. Can’t go wrong with any LBD haha. Confidence is key no matter what size you are and that with some fierce makeup/chic accessories and bold red lip ❤️ You look beautiful as always love

What I think is really difficult, and I don’t know if this sounds weird, but it’s trying to figure whether you actually dislike your body or whether you dislike your body because there’s a voice from culture and society telling you it’s not good enough or could be better. Recently an old holiday photo came up on my phone and I realised I’ve lost a lot of my curves which I never embraced at the time because I just told myself slimmer is better.

I love that recently you’ve been posting more of yourself to Instagram and I think the dresses you wear look amazing. I hope you start feel more happy about your weight soon. It’s kind of a losing game – certain outfits always looking better on certain body types. x

Secured By miniOrange