Comments

1. Janelle | thenellybean says

Good on you for making the step towards making love a priority and signing up for that dating app! I met my current partner through a dating app and initially had my doubts too. I found myself brushing the dating app part under the rug when people asked how we met, but it really doesn’t make a difference how and where people encounter each other. I wouldn’t have changed anything for the world, and I’m definitely not ashamed of it anymore. I think dating apps are a wonderful way to have new experiences and maybe even make some new friends out of the whole thing. Hope you had a fantastic Christmas and New year! Xx

Thank you Janelle! I’m a week late but happy new year! I love knowing when other people have met someone through online dating; it gives me that extra hope.
      So far it has been fun and a bit of a learning experience. I like that I’ve met very different guys who I wouldn’t usually run into – despite that we have been to the same places before. xx

2. hoiyinli says

How funny – I also downloaded a dating app earlier this month haha!

I wouldn’t say finding love is a silly life goal – quite an ambitious one actually in a day and age where love supposedly doesn’t exist like in the 1950’s or other ages. We’ve almost accepted this ideology that we marry to divorce, that people cheat, play and/or have open relationships but maybe the real question is asking what we REALLY want despite what’s happening in other people’s relationships.

Having said that, I do find dating hard. Knowing what the other person wants or is thinking, reading through cryptic messages (ugh), thinking whether you’re coming off too strong etc. It really blows my mind but it is also fun to get thrown in the deep end and get to know someone differently. One thing I will say is that you learn a LOT about yourself through dating regardless of the outcome.

Great minds think alike 🙂 How are you finding it?

The older I get, the more cynical I become. I think the amount of people who cheat and divorce has impacted how I view relationships, but I’m still after my expectations and ideas.

I’m going to write a post soon on my experience with online dating. I’d be interested to read what you have to say as well. I hate having to worry whether I come across too keen or too uninterested.

You are so right in saying you learn a lot about yourself! I’ve noticed both great qualities in me and some pretty bad ones.

• hoiyinli says

It’s certainly a very….mixed bag. Probably more bad than good. To be honest with you, I wasn’t sure what I was expecting either but it’s definitely made me more of a cynic as in, within 5 minutes of signing up to this app, I remembered why I hate people. I’m going to see how it pans out now that holiday season is almost over though. I was telling my friend the other week, maybe it’s the worst time to sign up because as much as there are genuine people finding love, there’s also those who just want to find it to pass winter. Oh I don’t know.

I’ll await for that post and share more. Ha, I was thinking of writing something similar on the subject but not sure how personal I want to be!

I think a lot of people are going on dating apps right now because they have planned new year goals and decided on finding someone. I also think it is about winter like you said – now Christmas is over, they want the excitement of love.

I’ve had mixed reactions to the dating app as well. So far I’ve had two first dates. I’ll think I’ll stay on it for another month or so and see if a relationship can form from it.