Comments

1. K.M. Sutton says

I LOVED your last paragraph. While I definitely am all for people finding their identities, I do think all the labels almost make it more confusing and even divisive. Let people be people. We all have our own ideal partner. Wanting a guy to open doors isn’t a bad thing. Just like a woman wanting to be the breadwinner isn’t either. If it works for you. Do it. Who cares what society dictates. <3

Thank you! My sentiments exactly! We’re all different – why shame people who like old school manners? I think you can still be modern and independent while appreciating a door being held open. x

I totally agree with your stance on this topic. I actually feel that it’s not only masculinity that is confusing but femininity is equally as confusing in society nowadays. There are women who feel like they are feminists but they actually put down women in society in real life. I still feel like there is still so much competition among young women now. Masculinity is def the same way where men exert masculine traits but also do express their feminine side by supporting women rights or being able to express their feelings so openly. I think society is changing now and people have been adopting a new mindset about not having to adhere to sexism all the time. We should all accept that women can be leaders, dominate in the corporate world, etc. and show masculine traits just as men can also show feminine traits by expressing their feelings/emotions more. Just like you said, we def need to stop judging and putting labels on everyone’s attitude and opinions.

Love this post girl ❤️

That’s true – femininity is also confusing. And the stereotype of women gossiping and shaming other women has a lot of truth. I don’t know a woman who hasn’t experienced this.
      We should just let people be who they want to be. In many ways I’m very girly but I also think I have masculine traits, probably like most people. Thank you for reading girl x

3. Mbalenhle says

I love how relatable this is. I think the fact that where we stand with masculinity is so unclear makes it hard for anything to change. I know of a few guys (not personally) who unapologetically promote and support women’s rights on social media but actually sexually and physically abuse women behind closed doors. I personally know women who are all about feminism yet tolerate abusive men and talk down on other women. It’s all just a mess, it’s something I’ve given up on, l think we are just going to keep going around in circles with no progress and it makes me so sad

I imagine the guys who abuse women while promoting women’s rights on social media, are doing so to keep up appearances and create a fake image to the world. Maybe even to lure other women.
      And I think many women pick and choose when feminism and girl power works for them. Some just want to support the women who share their views.
      I can see us going around in circles as well. Maybe we’re just placing too much emphasis on gender and not enough on feelings.