Comments

1. J | thenellybean says

I do things alone ALL the time. Not sure why it’s frowned upon or seen as being antisocial, it can be so therapeutic! There are some things that are best done with company, but other things are much better alone – shopping is one of them for me xx

Sometimes I like a second opinion when I’m shopping. But I shop quite quickly and I hate having to wait for people to try things on.
      I do think alone time can be really therapeutic and I’m going to try to continue finding time to have by myself. xx

2. questionsfromateenager says

I think the key to doing things alone in public is to take it slow. I started by going to small cafes by myself to get some work done or just read or treat myself to a nice cup of coffee. Then I went to the cinema by myself which I was MASSIVELY nervous about. But it was okay. No-one cared. I enjoyed a great film by myself. What I haven’t done yet, is really eat proper food at a restaurant by myself (the places I’ve eaten at by myself were more “snack bars” or “grab and go” places).

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, I think it’s important to push yourself to a) spend time with/by yourself and b) to learn to be okay with it. I am an introvert as well, so I need that time by myself to recharge. But up until about a year ago, I spent that time stuck at home. The fear of being judged for being alone is real – but I am gradually getting to a place where I feel comfortable by myself, and more importantly by myself IN PUBLIC. xx

When I went to the restaurant, I sat on the outside tables and that felt much less daunting than to be indoors. Maybe because of the openess and being able to look out and watch crowds walk by.
      I haven’t watched a film by myself at the cinema yet.

I definitely think it’s about baby steps and slowly building up your confidence. I’m glad you are gradually feeling comfortable by yourself in public, that’s inspring me to keep going and take the next steps. Thank you for reading and commenting!! xx

3. crystalsandcurls says

Honestly, getting over hating to be seen alone has to be one of the best things I’ve ever done. It’s really bizarre too -once you do it, it’s like “why was I fussed about this in the first place again?” Xx

It’s exactly like that. I made such a big thing out of spending time alone, but now it’s seems so normal. xx

Can totally relate! I really try to avoid any drama with anyone so I would rather just be by myself. Just like you, I’m sometimes an introvert and like to just have my “me” time and to just focus on myself. It’s just so peaceful and really improves my mental health. When I was in college, it was hard to always meet up with friends so I would do things alone in public like eating alone, doing hw by myself, listening to music and I actually enjoyed it. I’ve embraced it and makes me feel more independent which def has helped me grow more as a person. So there is no shame in doing things alone. Great post hun ❤️

Thank you girl. I’m glad I’m now doing things alone in public rather than just at my house. While I love seeing my friends, I feel like I’ve depended on them too much to avoid my fear of doing things alone. It’s a good feeling to confront it. x

5. thelonelyauthorblog says

A post that I truly identify with. Funny thing is, there were times in my life I would have felt awkward doing things alone in public. This time I have embraced it. The independence of doing whatever I want whenever I want is wonderful. I do the same things you do. Book stores, museums, parks, even dining. Whiler I don’t find it awkward, I will sit in a bar alone, even if most people assume one is sad or lonely. It never seems to occur to them that I just want a quiet drink.

People who assume someone is sad or lonely because they are spending time alone, probably have insecurity within themselves to do the same.
      I’m not saying I’ll spend my life alone now and stop wanting to meet up with friends, but I will schedule time to do things by myself and equally enjoy that.

Trackbacks