Comments

1. Alex (Vividual) says

Thank you for writing this Laura! I really needed to read this in order to understand what i‘m Going through atm. I‘m trying so hard to finally reach my goal but I don’t even know why. It‘s really getting annoying to see fashion brands etc come up with their body positivity campaigns. It‘s not that I don’t like it, it‘s that they have to highlight it even though it‘s supposed to be a normal thing. I wish we could all accept that we are different. I enjoyed reading this!
    Hope you are well Laura xx

Thank you Alex! Sometimes I think it’s much easier to set goals and put pressure on ourselves than it is to embrace how we look. We’re conditioned to constantly seek improvement.
      I think the underlining message of body positivity is great, but I don’t believe campaigners do enough to address root causes of low self-esteem or insecurity. And it’s turning into a marketing ploy rather than a solution. xx

2. Jyo says

Beautiful and great post Laura !!
    The positive body image movement is a dangerous fascination with women’s appearance and not women’s over all well-being.
    Our joy, our strength and our personal happiness will not and should not be tied to our appearance. It must be tied to our comfort in our own skin, our health, our accomplishments and our relationships.
    We have to drop the body love talk, the diet talk, the “cleanse” talk and even the “you are beautiful inside and out” talk.
    Our self confidence can be our anchor — but only if it emerged from celebrating something about ourselves other than our bodies .

Thank you Jyolik! I think it’s important to celebrate our bodies and be proud of them. but they are only one element of us. And the body positive movement seems to forget that.
      We do have so much about ourselves to celebrate and be proud of. I think what we’re missing is balance. The scale leans too much towards physical beauty based on society ideals.

3. thelonelyauthorblog says

Like you, I find this this body positive movement false. Not sure. Perhaps, after so many years of seeing anorexic models and actresses gracing magazine covers it is hard for me to accept this new approach.

So much has to be done to educate the public about self love. The advertising industry could use some traning itself. Don’t know if too much of this embracing all body shape and sizes is a good thing either. Promoting obesity can’t be a good thing. A delicate balance must be found. As with so many other problerms in life, education must be the way to eventually change things.

It does seem really false and I feel like brands only use the body positive movement to attract media attention or look diverse. If they really cared about showing a range of models, they would have done so earlier.

I feel the message today is eat whatever you want and live however you want and then be amazing by celebrating it. Which on the surface is great, but when obesity is rising and becoming a huge issue, it’s quite an unhealthy message. The fact is, there are unhealthy people in all different sizes and what we should be doing, is encouraging wellbeing and not making people feel bad for not loving themselves or putting all attention on how we look. We’re just obssessed with ‘beauty’ right now.

Thank you for taking the time to read. Always love knowing what you have to say 🙂

4. crystalsandcurls says

These pictures are gorge girl! I am all for the body positivity movement when it’s done right, but recently it has started to feel like just another marketing tactic with pretty Insta quotes generic posts as opposed to actually tackling the root causes xx

Thank you! It feels like some brands are trying too hard to look diverse all of a sudden, when they’ve spent years not caring. And with so many quotes and positive messages around, nothing really stands out anymore. Like you say, that don’t tackle the root causes. Thank you for commenting xx