Comments

1. Melina Elisa says

I think some social medias connect us more than others. I found tumblr to be a connecting website when it was extremely popular, and while Instagram used to be, I feel like it has both negative and positive effects? It’s not necessarily so black or white? I think it honestly depends on how the user itself uses it. I have met and gotten to know loads of people on Instagram and twitter! Great post Laura xx

Melina | melinaelisa.com

I never used tumblr but I remember when it was really popular. Instagram has its good points and bad. I think even if you are on the app and have the best intentions just to connect, it’s hard to avoid or not get influenced by what others are doing.
      I’ve not met anyone on Twitter, but Instagram has given me great friendships like the one I have with you 🙂 xx

2. hoiyinli says

I feel that for me and you who are of similar age, we have caught the edge of social media still allowing us to have normal lives because at least, we still grew up with a considerable amount of “outside world social life”. What I mean is, it was totally normal to call over a friend’s house when we were young. for kids to still be active and play out in the street or at the park, to ride a bike. For kids growing up today or who grew up during the 2000s, I cannot say the same applied for them. It’s sad when you see a 2 or 3 year old with an iPhone and the level of inactiveness amongst young people growing up today is ridiculous!

It’s fair to say that social media has contributed to a great level of rise in depression and other mental illnesses because we witness a heightened reality on Instagram that isn’t 100% the truth. It creates a bubble. And then we chase that reality on social media when we can probably spend that time actively chasing something in real life that would benefit us more. For kids who have practically known the internet and social media all their lives, when the platforms eventually crash (even just for an hour or a day), their minds go crazy because they don’t know how to act in reality. It seems ridiculous that this has become the outcome (although not shocking) and a huge irony to something that’s described as “social”.

I use to love playing on the street and spending hours on my local field in summer. I do think it’s sad that the generation after us won’t know any different. I feel we’ve been quite lucky because we’ve slowly adapted to social media and technology.

My first phone didn’t even have a camera and I could barely afford to send text messages. My ten-year-old sister really wants Instagram and I’m glad she’s not been allowed it.

I admit when social media goes down, I am a little freaked and I don’t know why because I can happily watch films or go about my day without it. It is an irony in a way to describe the app as social, because it seperates us from reality.

I will say however, before social media, magazines received so much slack for promoting body issues and eating disorders. Most of the people I knew as teenagers were trying to be skinnier and trying to imitate the ‘popular’ girls. I think Instagram has exaggerated and gone overboard on an issue already in society – to be perfect in apperance.

3. Chloe May Blogs says

I think part of social media brings us further apart. You go out for a meal with friends and you don’t have anything to talk about because you have all seen the news on social platforms. Conversation killer x

That’s true. I hate when people have their phones out the whole time during a meal or sit and scroll social media while waiting for the food. It ruins the experience. x

4. questionsfromateenager says

Okay, first of all, this was by bar one of my favourite collaborations ever! I love commenting on societal issues and was really interested to see what you thought of this topic in particular. Opinions, especially about social media, seem to vary more and more these days. I was pleasantly surprised to see that while we both stayed inside the realm of what we agreed on, we both took it in two very different directions. In a way, I feel like they fit together really well, seeing as this post is more about the individual and how we connect with others like us while my own focuses more on connections with people we haven’t met before but we feel like we know so well (such as influences).

Now to your post itself; I loved that you threw some statistics in there, I always find statistics related so social media shockingly fascinating. I feel like Instagram especially has lost its core a little – back in the day (and not even too long ago), people posted things that made them happy, likes and followers were definitely in the background. Nowadays I find that, like you said, we follow so many people we used to know, want to know, kind of know and don’t know at all. We follow them and in return they follow us. We regularly like their pictures so they will like ours. It’s more like a game of chess, a constant move and countermove, analysing the move of the other, figuring out how to one-up them or compete. There’s nothing like a good old real-life connection that is so strong you forget to check your phone for hours. THAT’S what we all should be striving for. Because it is (sadly) becoming rarer and rarer.

I completely agree with you on all points and, as always, your writing was absolutely fantastic and really brought across your points. And I must say, I am a big fan of your analogies and metaphors. xx

I love that we went in different directions with this topic. When I read your post, I realised I didn’t even think about influencers which is obviously such a huge part of Instagram.

I like how you described Instagram as a game of chess – that’s exactly it. I think it’s lost the spark it once had because so many accounts look fake now – both in followers and in how edited they are. When I first joined, it felt like more of a community and genuine care.

Thank you for letting me collaborate with you and thank you for being so kind about my writing 🙂 xx

5. Infinite Living says

My favorite thought process of a topic and you handled it accurately and so authentically as always. I feel like my parallel real world. It is a major part of my life so it has major influences on me. I absolutely agree with each and every perspective that you present. I feel howmuchever I decide to be my most authentic, I do curate what gets shared, and also others’ projection of how I am doing with the number of likes and comments on FB do unknowingly seep into me, even though by intention I stick to what brings me value from the true connections I make.

It is almost impossible to be truly authentic on social media because like you say, we curate what gets shared and naturally become focused on the popularity or growth of our accounts.

You have always come across honest and express your opinions beautifully on your blog. I think it’s about balance and as long as we’re ourselves and remain true to our personalities, we can have some room to create. Thank you for sharing this lovely comment 🙂

Trackbacks