Comments

Before my thyroid decided to not cooperate anymore, I was really skinny, I had a BMI of about 14. I did everything I could to gain weight, I ate like every meal was my last, I had unhealthy food, I tried working out to gain muscles. Anything I could think of, I did. Doctor’s even told me to drink cream instead of water or milk! Everytime someone praised me for being so skinny, I died a bit on the inside. I really, really, really wanted to be healthy, and I worked so hard for it. When I finally, after the whole thyroid thing, gained my first 10 kilos I was SO happy. I finally looked like an adult. Of course, not a day went by that people didn’t asked me what happened “you used to be so think and pretty!”..
    I absolutely refuse to comment on peoples weight, no matter what it is. I’ve been on both ends, and I hate it both the same.

What I find today, people have a really strong idea of what “healthy” looks like. They usually imagine a lot of muscle and abs glaring through. But plenty of “skinny” people can still have muscle and be healthy.
      I think it’s rude to comment on people’s weight and do so using your own ideals. Some people just assume everyone loves the idea of being skinny and so they use it as a compliment. The word has countless meanings for every individual.

2. Jyo says

It seems that society still has a long way to go before we are able to completely look beyond a woman’s physical appearance and simply appreciate her for her talents, intellect and spirit

I don’t know if we will ever fully get to that place. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with caring about apperance, but women are always linked to their beauty first. It’s a shame it’s not balanced.

3. hoiyinli says

Obviously it depends on the context but if I were to be called skinny in my teenage years, I really would have considered it as a compliment I think. As a child, I went through skinny days and eventually did become chubby at some point. I lost a lot of chubbiness in my teens through exercise one summer and became skinnier but I wouldn’t say skinny. Now that I look back, I would probably describe it as skinny fat. And if you have ever lost weight, there are days where you consciously still feel like the fat kid.

The thing is, in text form, when we say skinny, it’s this idea of describing someone who’s really skinny – skin and bones. But the thing is, everyone’s definition of skinny can actually be really different. I say this because I have been called skinny before to my surprise. This is not me being self-deprecating or modest or whatever – I’ve genuinely never been skinny before. There are friends more slender than me who have called me skinny! (which I find hugely puzzling.)

In the past year or so, I’ve gained some weight which is why I’ve been very active lately. I said this to my best friend one day and she was very taken aback, almost offended because in her opinion, I didn’t need to lose weight. This is also another stereotype I really dislike. If you are “skinny”, should you not exercise and just eat to your heart’s desire? There just needs to be a balance somewhere along with some self-love preach.

I think people forget that skinny doesn’t necessarily mean healthy. And though the idea of staying slim while eating whatever felt very appealing a few years back, people now are focusing more on health.

You’re right in saying everyone has a different idea of what skinny is. It can mean two different things to two different people. And some like the idea of skinny while others find it offensive. Thank you for sharing your comment.

Idk but I think being called skinny is neither a negative thing or a compliment. I feel like if you’re too skinny then that is a serious prob in which action should be taken. But if you’re skinny and it looks like you’re on a good diet and fit, I think it’s totally ok and I would take it as a compliment. You shouldn’t be too chubby or too skinny like either extremes. You should be moderate in weight, as long as you are healthy and fit. GIrl, you look gorgeous and beautiful and love just the way you are ❤️

I think a lot of it has to do with how you perceive the word. I use to be best friends with a girl who would constantly be told she was skinny and must not eat much etc. So for her, she didn’t see skinny as a good thing.
      You can be healthy and skinny though. I think the word is linked to so many different views, it’s complimentary if the person has a nice interpretation.
      Thank you for the compliment lovely and for taking the time to read. x

5. thelonelyauthorblog says

The way the world is revolvng nowadays, I don’t think being called skinny is a compliment like it once was. Easier said than done, but I think the right physique is one where a lady is comfortable with herself. Honestly, I am laughing here, because I am not sure any woman can truly achieve a state where she is completely happy with herself.

Ten years ago, being called skinny was the ultimate compliment. But I guess with people concerned about health now, some see skinny as a bad thing. They’d rather be called fit or toned.Being happy with yourself is the best thing, but like you say, a state many can’t achieve! Thank you Andrew for your comments.