Comments

You put it perfectly.
    Many of the most loved football players in “my” club has been very vocal about how they do what they love and everything they have gotten from it. But they are equally vocal about how they still study or do other things on the side. One studied economy, they said, “no matter how good we are, things can end in a second, we need something that we can be good at then”. I love, love, love how these people with such big platforms and fans talk/talked about this and made sure people and kids know WHY it’s important to have something if what you love doesn’t pay the bills.
    Dream are important, and we should absolutely follow them, but we need to be smart about it and have a back up plan. Or so I feel 🙂

I completely agree! It’s great that the footballers have spoken out about this and that they take the time to do other things. Sports in general has such a short shelf-life.

People can have a couple of different passions that they pursue. I think sometimes people think they have to have just one thing. I believe it’s good to look at your job and your dream career, and draw links between them. Look at all the different connections and choices available before running straight into it. Thank you for reading! 🙂

2. thelonelyauthorblog says

Reading your article I wavered back and forth on my opinion of business versus passion. Then, I read that MIchal Bohanes suggestion “develop a passion, don’t follow it.”
    He truly has the best idea. To do something you don’t value or enjoy just for the monetary value would be empty. Yet, developing something you can be passionate about,
    well, with a little luck and dedication you can have the best of both worlds.

Thank you for reading Andrew. I’ve always always said – follow passion. Then when I came across an article on why it’s bad advice, it really made me rethink what I always assumed.
      The idea of passion usually beats the reality. You need a good dose of luck and business to combine. I think anyway lol.

3. Infinite Living says

Laura you are so good at stating it as it is, yet in a way that is so convincing 🙂 Your post truly opens up the thought process for following a line of work sensibly. Knowing what gives us joy is one thing and finding a purpose to do that is one other choice. It became clear to me some time ago that my blog comes from a place of passion but I am not writing towards a monetary goal. While there are other areas where I do my work with similar passion but I had to learn how to use my personal power to bring a business model to it.

Thank you!! I’ve met some people who have numerous passions and others who struggle to think of one. I love writing enough to do it continually, but there are many others things I enjoy that I’m happy to do once in a while. I don’t think every passion can be a career and that’s where people can go wrong.