Comments

1. Paolo B. says

Very interesting read. My gf left her business job to pursue digital journalism and it’s a rapidly changing industry, especially now. Traditional papers are in transition trying to get more of the online market etc. Journalists not getting paid for the amount of work they do. It really is a crazy time.

Paid vs unpaid writing work is a challenge too. Often writers get taken advantage of. I don’t really have a point to add but did enjoy reading this as it’s relevant as writer in today’s digital age. Thanks Laura!

Can I ask how your girlfriend is getting on as a journalist? Has she accepted free work before? It’s something I had to do a lot at the beginning but now say no to. I think paywalls could be a good solution to solving some of the pay issues.
      Thank you so much Paolo for reading!!

• Paolo B. says

She’s having a hard time finding full time work. Her focus is sports journalism/broadcasting so it’s a niche industry with most opportunity on the u.s. She worked there for 2 years until Visa expired but now hard to get working visa there. Our market in Canada is so small and the traditional newspaoer/media companies have been cutting back staff a lot. She’s taken free work in the beginning to build her experience for sure. Pay wall concept is good, but I think companies make so much from clicks and traffic that it would be hard to get same traffic if had paywall. Not sure if data shows that but just my thoughts.

I think it’s The New York Times who has introduced a paywall and it’s given them millions or something crazy in revenue. I think paywalls work if you already have the visitors. For newer sites it will be much harder and for sites that publish a lot of breaking news stories.
          Maybe paywalls on certain articles is the way forward? And in the UK, the industry is in the same position. Media companies are cutting back staff and it’s causing more to go freelance without having enough work.
          Thank you for sharing Paolo! I hope the industry picks up soon or change happens to improve the situation.

2. Rebecca says

As a journalism student, I loved reading this! It’s such a tricky debate and I think it really shows how the state of today’s society is changing how we read news. I do approve of the Guardian’s tactic where breaking news is there for all to read but certain, more investigative pieces can be paid for with their subscription- I hope that people will support that kind of scheme more in the future, although it does run the risk of people still choosing not to pay. Great post!

Thank you Rebecca! It’s tough with news because there are so many sites. I think you have to really like a site to want to pay. I think there should be more schemes like that as well though, because it encourages writers getting paid what they deserve.
      What’s your ideal publication to write for? 🙂

• Rebecca says

It definitely is tough- I think this debate will never really be resolved as it just depends on each publication. Definitely, people should value good writing more!! I’m not sure what my ideal publication is to be honest, I’d love to write for a women’s magazine but I’m still early on in my degree!

I’m sure you will get there! It is a tough debate with so many questions. I’m not exactly how it will go but I think digital publications will be forced to change sooner or later.

3. thelonelyauthorblog says

For me to pay to become a reader, it will definitely have to be for content that is worth reading. I suscribe to wrtiers magazines because the content is something important and interesting to me. It can help me with my “trade.”

New, on the other hand, I can catch that for free on too many sights and on tv. The other problem with news, is there are so many fake news or politically slanted news, I cold never pay for it, but I do understand that newspapers have to make a living. It just won’t be from me.

A very fair point you’ve made. Fake news has become a thing and sometimes publications capitalise on it for click-bait. I think what makes the difference, is how someone writes about it.
      If it’s just reporting on something that’s already out there on the TV, I’m not interested. But if a news article is full of insight, maybe some history and investigative work, I’m much more likely to consider paying.
      Hope you’re having a great weekend Andrew! Thank you for commenting as always 🙂

I will absolutely pay for quality content, both online and offline! I want to buy more magazines, but most of them are filled with adverts and telling women how to lose weight or something like that. And then how to bake a really sweet chocolate cake on the next page.
    Like what you write on your blog, I would love if magazines had more of this, you’re such an amazing writer, and you always have such high quality in your posts! I’m always going “aaw, I wish I could write like her!”

I want a magazine that will have this kind of writing, and things like making it at your job, how to change careers, how to stand up for yourself, how to be the best you, becoming a “boss lady”, etc. Not a bunch of get fit, lose weight, how you look cute and just that. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, I mean I read that too, but I want more =) I guess I want a balance between all of that. There’s more to a woman than our bodies =)
    I would be more than happy to pay, even if I technically can’t afford it! Actually, if I could find magazines like that, I would probably subscribe to the physical magazine AND read it online.

Thank you for Jea for putting a huge smile on my face! It would be awesome having my own magazine and featuring it with similar articles on my blog. Or writing articles like this for magazines.

I am 100% with you. I use to read women’s magazines and listen to their every word. But then I started realising how robotic some of the articles are. They are not unique or compelling enough, and like you say – it’s like diets on one page and it’s okay to eat chocolate on the other.

There’s not enough useful pieces on careers and education. I asked my friend what articles she’s interested in for blog inspiration, and she spoke about how expensive it is to get qualifications or take classes and gain education. That to me is what we need more of, not just 2019 diets and stories on girls who have multiple partners etc.
      Thank you so much for this comment! You’re awesome 🙂

• The Life of Jea says

As are you 🙂
        I used to spend so much money on all the magazines, but all I ended up with was not feeling good about myself and my ody. I was never thin enough. So I just won’t buy them anymore…

I’m the same. Though I did buy did this month’s Harper’s Bazaar (admittedly for photos – hides face) but did like the travel section etc. It was enjoyable but many many adverts.

• The Life of Jea says

I’ve never read Harper’s Bazaar, it’s too expensive for me… I once ripped out the pages with adverts in a magazine, I was left with less than 50% of it!!

Shocking right! It’s not something I usually buy, but it came with a book on 100 places to visit and see. Some of it was a bit silly. But I was curious how much I’ve not yet and apparently there’s alot!

I’d love to visit Copenhagen! I think there are so many places around Europe I have yet to explore. Even in the UK where I live, there’s countless places I;ve not been.

• The Life of Jea says

Copenhagen is so amazing!! I’ve been to London, Birmingham, Nottinghamn, Stratford and one more city I can’t remember right now in the UK, all so great! I would really love to go to Edinburgh and then Stratford again!

Yes I’ve always wanted to visit Edinburgh. There are just so many places on my holiday wishlist. Or places to explore list.