Comments

We have very similar opinions. I feel the same way and lonely at times since I’ve lost some of my friendships just because we grew apart. It’s just not the same anymore but I get that people move on and that’s what adulthood is all about. People are just so preoccupied with thier jobs and work that they forget to value their old friends and their current loved ones. I feel that social media also makes us feel even more lonely so I would rather not use as much technology. I’m just happy that I have a few genuine friends and family who truly care for me and that’s what really matters. Great post girl ❤️

Thank you lovely! It’s true that people are preoccupied with work and I’d say even with family life. Friendships have decline in significance. Social-media doesn’t make me feel lonely as I’ve gained great friendships from there, but I can see how it’s isolating. Genuine friends and family is what it’s about 🙂 x

2. trithisworld says

Thanks for sharing. I had the most interesting conversation with a lady from Israel a couple of nights earlier with regards to this. Despite having a wonderful circle of friends to call upon, and my boyfriend by my side – travelling can sometimes be lonely.

I’ve never properly travelled before. I usually go on holiday yearly, but I would love to spend at least a month exploring. I can imagine it gets lonely though. I’m especially bad at finding ways to chat to new people. Thank you so much for reading and commenting. 🙂

This is such a great post! People need to feel they can speak up more about things like feeling lonely. I’m not gonna lie, I’m super lonely. I don’t know what it’s like in other countries, but in Sweden it’s still a taboo about talking about it. Lots of people are trying to break that taboo, but it’s hard. You’re not “allowed” to talk about those things.
    For me, social media is my happy place (instagram mostly), it’s where my friends are at 🙂

Thank you!! I think it’s still a taboo in most places. Probably due to being linked to mental health. Even depression, it’s talked about a lot more and now I hear people say oh – everyone’s depressed, it’s such an easy excuse.
      It’s like you can’t win. And again, I think many people find comfort in social-media and blogging. It’s changed my life knowing that people across the world can connect and relate to me, when people close to home can’t. I’m always here anyway if you ever need a chat. 🙂

• The Life of Jea says

Yeah, I think so too. It’s a common thing now to hear people go “oh we all get sad” or “we all get depressed”. I feel so bad for those that suffer from mental health problems (is that the correct term in english? I’m not sure & I don’t want to offend people.) that has to listen to that, and be belittled…
        Thank you <3 All those that say online friends aren't real friends don't know what they're talking about!
        And same goes for you, if ever you need it, I'm here!

I’ve suffered with depression and mental health issues in general, but it’s something I can’t discuss with my family, because they see it as some kind of weakness. Even though my mum suffered badly years ago, she has this mindset that you move on.
          Mental health problems is correct 🙂 To me anyway lol. A friend is a friend, regardless of communication!

• The Life of Jea says

It’s sad that so many can’t talk to the family. And it’s even more important when it’s about mental health! I suffered a very severe stress reaction in early 2016 and actually tried to take my life… I called an ambulance myself, and everything went great. The stress trigger is gone now, thankfully, but I have never talked about it. Those that knew (relatives) turned their back at me.

I only speak in general terms about my physical health with my mum, I think she would listen and be OK if I told her all the hard parts, but I know she would get sad and then I would feel guilty (I know I shouldn’t…). I don’t talk to anyone else about it because most have the “oh we all get tired and such” attitude. They just refuse to hear what’s really going on.

That attitude is always by people who have never experienced it before. Super annoying as well – I’m just a happy person, I can’t understand why some people would choose to be sad? Similar words have been said by my sister. You can talk in gruesome detail about physical pain and it’s fine, but mention mental, and no one knows how to react.
            And it’s natural to feel guilty in that situation. I completely get it.

• The Life of Jea says

I wonder if it “simply” scares people to the point that they rather pretend like nothing. When I was a child, my mum didn’t want to talk about any kind of illness, not even a headache, because she had always been told that if you talk about it, you will get it. These days she’s stopped that, she gets how strange it is 🙂
            The taboo on mental health needs to be broken!

My mum is very dismissive as well. Anytime I complain or worry, she’s very – oh you’ll be fine. I just think the answer is to keep talking about it. Keep blogging and make it seem normal. 🙂

4. Infinite Living says

Your post speaks so perfectly and clearly Laura. I agree how life has become busiest and loneliest for a whole lot of people. And the most surprising is there are so many like your friend who have a full social calendar yet crave genuine company, feel lonely. It is so easy to assume another’s life to be perfect while none of us are taught to acknowledge or share truly.

Your last sentence summarises so much. People easily assume others have everything, that there lives are somehow much better. When in reality, none of us know what someone else is going through. Thank you so much for your wise words and for taking the time to read. It’s truly appreciated.

5. vividual says

This article speaks to the centre of my heart. Besides having a boyfriend, who is also my best friend, I have never felt more lonely in life. It’s not that I’m not trying to get out of this loneliness, I just feel like other people are never interested in having a close friendship. People always do their own thing, they always go to another party instead of asking you to hang out. I stopped seeing myself as the issue, I know it’s them. We’re all in different stages of life and sometimes people don’t understand how lonely you can be until they are as well. Lovely post. If you ever feel lonely, you can talk to me xx

I really relate to the feeling that people just do their own thing. And it’s hard making plans. Especially now as my friends are preparing for Christmas.
      I struggle with making female friendships and I’m not quite sure why. I will send you a message next week 🙂 xx

• vividual says

I totally understand that people do their own thing. I‘m doing my own thing most of the time but I really like to catch up with friends every now and then just to have a good day together. I know what you mean about female friendships. Always thought the same about myself. Looking forward to your message

6. thelonelyauthorblog says

Very thoughtful post Laura. Timely also, since there is nothing sadder than feelng alone during the holiday season.
    While I spend my time preaching the evils of social media, I neglect to remember how easy social media makes it to unfollow or delete someone. That in itself, however insignificant it may be, is an act of isolating ourselves.

Even ghosting in relationships. A few years ago a guy just vanished, after spending 6 hours together. Okay, which isn’t really anything, but think how much kids can learn during 6 hours in school lol.
      Technology is suppose to make our lives easier, so it comes along and says – just isolate yourself easily, press this button. But it also equals a host of other issues.
      It’s sad, but I think many people feel most lonely right now, probably as well because everyone starts reflecting and you’re kind of judged on your success during December. Like breaking up or losing a job is worse in this season.
      Thank you as ever for your comment and for taking the time to read. Hugely appreciated!!