Comments

1. s4fd author says

Thank you for your post. It’s a true illustration of current society evolution. Body positivity maybe a good thing but not if overweight people use it to stay in their bad habits. On another side, promoting fit and toned bodies is a good direction for healthier lives bit not if it pushes you down to anorexia. As usual nothing is white nothing is black, that’s why life is so wonderful.

Thank you for this comment! I agree, nothing is white, nothing is black. But unfortunately, society seems to bounce from one extreme to the other. There needs to be more of a normal balance of bodies shown. And honest conversation on health, without attacking people.

2. Jessica says

I love this post! While I do have issues with excessive photoshop to the point of the product no longer looking like it does in reality, I think a lot of us lose sight that advertisements are an art & companies are in charge of the aesthetic.

I do love it when companies allow customers to post pictures of themselves wearing a product on their site, I think that is a much more realistic perspective than hiring any size of model.

Thank you Jessica! I’m so sorry for such a late reply, just seeing your comment now. I agree – models have zero say in the final outcome. Most celebrities don’t even get a say. It’s a small team in a magazine or brand choosing how thin someone should look. The images are art in a way and not true depiction.
      I appreciate you taking the time to read!!

3. K.M. Sutton says

Yassss! Yass to ALL of this! I can relate to this so much. For me personally, I feel like I don’t necessarily fit into any of the body movements. I am not skinny, but I am also not morbidly overweight. Where does that leave me? Does it indeed make me average? Or just not relevant in the body discussion debate because I need to lose fifteen pounds, but I don’t look unhealthy on either side of the spectrum?
    As someone who struggled with weight all of my teen years (competitive figure skater) that included a variety of distorted eating and eating disorders, recovery was about being healthy mentally and physically then a number. People have lost sight of what healthy is and made body mass the worth. Further more I think it has come down to the fact we no longer have open dialogue nor respect for each other. If someone doesn’t conform to our belief system, then they are flat out wrong.
    I had originally decided to go to school for nutrition, before I realized that it wouldn’t be beneficial or healthy for me. I was also disturbed, because many people in that community (much like on instagram) push their own agenda. You need to eat like I do and follow MY plan, instead of realizing we are all beautifully unique and you can’t make a sweeping generalization, but have to make health individual to the person. There needs to be an emphasis o health, and this will be different from person to person. Thanks for sharing this beauty! <3

“we no longer have open dialogue nor respect for each other.”
      This is ridiculously true! There’s a lack of discussion, now it’s about berating others who don’t agree with us.
      What health is has disappeared. People are becoming obsessed with building muscle or on promoting their curves. And skinny is shamed in there and everyone else ignored.

Love this girl! Yes society always portray the perfect really fit bodies and everyone has to be like them. Like you said and I totally agree that we need more depiction of average bodies and more ethnicities to show that everyone whether chubby, skinny, dark, fair are also really beautiful! You always write inspiring posts girl ❤️

Thank you lovely! I think it’s about being honest with ourselves and focusing more on health than just physicality. There’s time where I may have looked healthy, but in reality I wasn’t eating properly or on some crazy, calorie diet. x

5. alwayscleia says

Everything always goes too far. I’ve noticed such a huge push towards embracing larger body types at the expense of skinny shaming women who aren’t plus sized. I’m tired of being skinny shamed (I’m a size 2). Part of my body type is genetics but I also exercise five days a week and eat a clean well balanced diet most days. I know so many people who don’t work for the body they want and then see fit to judge mine.
    I wish we would promote healthy lifestyles instead of “healthy bodytypes” because healthy looks different on each and every person, in a magazine or not.

I know people as well who go on about how boring it must be to try and eat healthy and exercise, how life is too short. Then those same people complain about their bodies and rip apart anyone who does take care of their’s.
      I get what you mean about healthy lifestyles. Right now there’s a type of body in fashion and anyone who doesn’t comply is somehow not as healthy. Thank you for your comment and for taking the time to read! 🙂

• alwayscleia says

I’ve met a few of those people…
        I can’t imagine not excercising, My stress levels decrease so much when I take care of myself!
        Thank you for writing such a thoughtful post 🙂

6. Infinite Living says

Truly relevant post Laura! Any perspective taken to the extreme doesn’t serve a balanced purpose. Appreciation and admiration is certainly valid for those who put in the work for and achieve the ideal fitness- as much as it is important we don’t belittle or judge those perceived less than ideal. Living an inspired life while accepting where we are is the key.

Thank you! You as always, crafted a perfect response. I couldn’t have said it so elegently, but it’s true – accepting who we are while we stay inspired. It’s often the case that people dislike themselves until they think they match a certain look or goal.