Comments

1. Paolo B. says

I love movies that make you feel something or make you think. To me if a movie can do that, it’s a good movie. Usually movies that deal with death or have death do that. Makes you think and reflect on your life and maybe brings to the surface things you’ve been putting off dealing with as well.

I’d have to say I’d rather watch a movie that is overall happy, goes through all the emotions but ends on a high note. Just because some movies, even books have been so tragic takes days too recover haha. Thanks for sharing Laura!

I know exactly what you mean! I watched a cheesy Christmas movie hoping it would lift my spirits, and it ended up with the lead character dying tragically. Like how is that a Christmas movie?! It took me a couple of days to accept lol.
      But I’m the same as you. I like movies and art in general – culture, to make me feel something. I love reflecting and deep thought. Apologies by the way for the late reply!

2. Jyo says

Thank u for your thought provoking view about the death in movies/portrayal of common death. I agree with many of your points and your column stimulated my thinking

3. Christine Benedict says

This makes sense to me, and I appreciate that you’re talking about something that I never thought I’d see on a blog! I’m a very emotional person so I tend to avoid sad and/or scary movies and TV, but I know that a tragic story is the first place I go for a good cry when I need a release. Sometimes we need to bring ourselves to it, and sometimes we need to know when to turn ourselves away from it. What you’ve shared gives insight into why that’s how we work!

Thank you Christine! I have never written this kind of post before. For some reason in the past few years, I have turned quite emotional. I like films that show some reality and aren’t all Hollywood happy.

4. K.M. Sutton says

This was such an interesting read! And so thought provoking. I think death in movies for some of us who guard our feelings closely and privately is a way to let those emotions be released, because it is “okay” to cry. As you wrote no one is asking what is wrong.Thanks for sharing this beauty! <3

Thank you! I really agree with you. It’s hard to show certain emotions in life, and movies create that release. It’s escapism sometimes for sad thoughts. x

Thank you girl and apologies for such a late response!! I understand what you mean. It always use to get me when a character knows their dying and you watch them become more ill in the film. It’s almost worse than a sudden ending. xx