Comments

1. hoiyinli says

I’ve never actually properly watched Sex and the City. I mean, I can name some characters here and there but ask me anything else, and I wouldn’t have a clue. Maybe I should tune into it?

I really related to you when you said this: “…where I purposely ‘let loose’, and tried to make up for all the times I stayed in at the weekend, contemplating if I’d enjoyed myself enough as a teenager.” I have probably done more things this year too than I did whilst I was studying. I was always stressed, restricted myself from going out a lot because of school work (seriously) but now I have a new perspective in life. It’s fresh and exciting and I’m always happy to go back out there again. I look forward to seeing faces at work and honestly, I have never felt freer.

Happy birthday by the way! 🙂

2. Melina Elisa says

You know what’s so funny? I never considered the fact that while when looking at the show “Sex and the City”, I always looked at their lives, and thought they were so lucky. Like you said, they had gone through terrible things, and yet I still look at their lives and thought that they lived amazing lives. I guess it might looking at the jar half full? I hope you had an amazing birthday Laura xx

Melina | http://www.melinaelisa.com

Thank you Melina! I was exactly the same. I watched the show and just thought it was all perfect. I guess that’s how I see life sometimes…I focus on the good stuff with everyone else and the bad with me. It’s something I’m trying to teach myself to stop doing. xx

3. Megala says

Happy Birthday !
    You are an intelligent & honest person, as far as I’m concerned these are the basic 2 qualities I could find in successful women. So keep rocking and have a wonderful year ahead. 🙂

Thank you Megala!! This is such a sweet comment and I now have a big smile on my face. I hope you have a wonderful year as well, and continue to keep inspiring me to try to be a better cook. 🙂

4. Keri L. says

Happy Belated Birthday!! May the next year be filled with wonder, laughter, and everything you could hope for.
    – wishing you all the happiness you can wish! (:

Thank you Keri!! I wish all the happiness for you as well, and hope the rest of this year works out brilliantly. x

5. K.M. Sutton says

Happy Happy day beauty! And yes to all of this! You are so wise and thank you so much for always sharing your wisdom and thoughts on here. I hope this coming year is full of more growth, contemplation and of course fun and adventure! <3

6. Infinite Living says

What a beautiful post! Wishes Galore for your special day and an amazing year ahead with all your imagined and unimagined wishes true! What tremendous wisdom you have at your young age, I loved and enjoyed all that you shared 🙂

Thank you Natalie! I’m now 26, but my post last year was on my 25 life lessons. It’s a wonderful age! I think the late twenties are better, because you are still young and at a stage where it feels like the world is your oyster, but you’re also more confident and aware of who you are.
      Definitely don’t compare 🙂 I hope you have an incredible birthday!

No need to apologise 🙂 I’m humbled you trust me enough to try to learn from my lessons. I think it’s easy to forget how much we take in each year. There’s probably a lot I’ve learnt, that I can’t remember. xx

7. thelonelyauthorblog says

First, happy birthday.
    Second, you are beginning the best time of your life. (LOL Although, I like to think any age is the best time of our lives).
    You now have the self love and wisdom to not let insecurities or doubts rule your life. There is no rush for marriage or your first home. Everything comes when they are supposed to. Be happy and live.

Thank you!! I’m really not thinking about marriage yet – I guess because I’d need a partner first. Maybe it will happen in my thirties.
      I do think any age can be our best, but right now, 26 feels really good 🙂

Happy birthday!!
    I would love a big birthday party! I always have small ones with my younger brother and my mum. My dad may or may not show up (he doesn’t care about me and my brothers), and people I invite just never show up. So I’m forced to the small ones. I would love to know how it feels to have a big party and loads of people celebrating you 🙂 Even if they only want free things to eat and drink 🙂 Just getting a present from someone other than my mum and brother would feel so amazing!
    (I know… sad life… that’s what I got from people for having POTS.)

Thank you!!

Honestly, the best birthdays I’ve had, have been with a couple of people. When you have people turn up just for food and drink, they don’t consider you at all. I had ‘friends’ who would stay and leave early and show zero awareness that it’s my birthday. I would never invite random people again.

Maybe it’s one of those…the grass is greener. I think a birthday is special when however many people (1 or 5 etc) make you feel important. Otherwise it just stops feeling like your birthday.

Exactly! It’s awful looking back and realising the money you spent on people who didn’t care. I only got free drinks because I met a promoter, but it wasn’t that good for me because I’m not a big drinker.

9. alwayscleia says

Happy birthday! I hope your 26th year is your best yet 🙂
    My 26th is coming up in the next few months too. I officially can’t kid myself that I’m in my “early-twenties” haha
    I remember I went out for my 18th and it was such a big deal that I could go out to the bar, but then I learned that I’m really not a party/bar goer. My birthdays are usually spent shopping by myself or with a friend and going out for dinner with my family in the evening. I love having much more chill birthdays!

Thank you! You’re still a ‘twenty-something’ which can technically mean early twenties right. Or you can simply go with early to mid twenties 🙂
      My birthday this year was really chilled, and I just loved not having pressure attached. Shopping and food sounds pretty perfect to me 🙂

10. thatfeelinginside says

Aw happy birthday! I think early 20’s always sort of feel like you should have big celebrations, I was the same. For my 21st I felt a bit disappointed at what I did compared to others but it’s silly really. We get so worried about being disappointed we end up doing opposite of what we wanna do. Your birthday this year sounds brilliant, like a few things you want to do which is simple and effective xx

Birthday pressure is ridiculous. I can’t believe I was devastated that I had a better 20th than 21st. Now I just think, I was lucky enough to have a good birthday for either.
      Thank you for wishing me a happy birthday. I enjoyed having a simple one this year 🙂

11. vividual says

Happy birthday! Great post. I think you’re absolutely right about having a relaxed birthday. Every year I try to make this day so special and my expectations are way too high. Every year I’m disappointed again somehow and next year I really just want a small birthday with good food and my boyfriend. It’s great to read about your life lessons. You’re definitely right about these things. I’ll try to remember these things for the future.
    PS: you’re blog is my favorite. I always look forward to reading a new post of yours.

Thank you girl! Your PS at the end has just made my day!

I feel like a terrible blogger right now. I’ve just accepted full-time work as a writer, and I have zero clue how to juggle!
      I spent every year trying to make my day extra special as well. I use to get jealous as a teenager, seeing other people have cakes made for them and cupcakes with their face on etc. And now I just think, who cares? There’s so much more to a birthday. Good food and company is what it’s really about 🙂

• vividual says

You’re a really great blogger! I’m sure your work as a writer will help you grow with your blog as well. I think we all have to learn our lessons with birthdays. Everyone is going to have a disappointing birthday one day but that’s okay I guess.

When I look back, I think it’s just my expectations which have left me disappointed. So from now on, I’m going to try to be more relaxed and not put so much pressure on myself. x