Comments

I couldn’t agree more! I sometimes prefer male friends since they understand women better and its just less drama. Everyone thinks that if I talk to a guy, it means somewhere there are feelings but I personally think that yes, men and women can def have platonic friendships as long as they’re both respecting each other’s boundaries. I have a guy friend who I’m friends with and we both understand each other’s boundaries and am def glad to have him as a friend. Great post girl 🙂

Thank you girl! There is definitely less drama. I feel like I am more relaxed sometimes with guys. I remember being close to two guys as a teenager, and people kept saying I fancied them. It’s weird how people think two genders can only have a relationship if it’s based on attraction. x

2. K.M. Sutton says

I agree with this so much! I have a ton of guy friends that are strictly platonic and I think it is so important to have. I can talk to them just as easily as I can talk to my female friends and sometimes there advice or point of view helps a lot more. Thanks for sharing this hun! <3

I think I almost appreciate my male friends more, because I went 20 years before having one. It’s weird how the stereotype on male and female friendshipsn continues to persist! xx

3. thelonelyauthorblog says

I love this post. Absolutely love it. I can;t tell me how many female friends I have had in my life and there was never sex or even a kiss involved. And trust me I am not gay. It is a terrible stereotype. I think it has helped me having female friends. I have learned more about female wants and needs. Also learned when I was wrong in my relationships, For my female friends, I have tried to teach themselves to love themselves and to make their partner value them for who they are.
    There are so many benefits to these male-female friendships. I know it has been a positive influence in my life and theirs.
    Thank you for posting this LauraJ, As a guy who has been teased by other dudes on so many occasions for being her friend instead of her one night lover, I really appreciate this.

Thank you Andrew!! There are so many benefits to male and female friendships. I found it shocking, how hard it was to find research for this article, because so many sites were saying that opposite genders can’t just be friends.
      I think the stereotype just puts irrational thoughts in a partner’s head, automatically worrying that he or she has a friend whose trying to sleep with them.
      Thank you so much for taking the time to read through and comment. 🙂

No need to apologise. Thank you for taking the time to comment. And I’m glad we relate on this issue.

4. Infinite Living says

I am thrilled to find yet another topic that I have these views on, as powerfully as usually you do. I have always late to notice gender in a person before I connected with them or not. Very few have the honesty and strength to carry friendships regardless of gender as you portray above. I am very fortunate to share such friendships – our spouses have respect for each other – and we don’t need to be defined through anything other than what we value in each other in terms of our perspectives and support we bring to each other. As friends we don’t depend on each other for everyday comfort yet absolutely and exactly know when we can reach out to one another.

Yes, such an important point. It’s hard to find genuine friend regardless of gender. You are very fortunate indeed. I read a few articles where women said they stopped having male friends, after they got married.
      I think that is such a shame, and I hope the stereotype one day goes away, and more people share our perspective.