Comments

1. hoiyinli says

Agreed! The sad thing is that it took me years to truly realise this, yet like many people, January was always about making that same damn resolution – only to be broken again. That’s why this coming year, I’m not bothered about resolutions. I think the problem with resolutions is that 1) they are seasonal/annual and 2) the resolution is normally too broad. It’s more realistic to set some short-term goals in light of the long-term goal that you wish to achieve. And it can happen as soon as tomorrow, not new year!

I agree with your way of thinking. I like the whole idea of January being about a fresh start and new goals, but they have to be relevant and realistic.
      People just want to change to much instead of adapt. And it is so frustrating to not achieve your resolutions – it just creates a lack of confidence.
      I am 100% behind that it can happen tomorrow and not at new year.

2. cherilyndoes says

Great post! I don’t make resolutions for the New Year because they never really seem to last. Fitness is a goal I continually work on. The older I get the harder it is to lose weight and keep it off. I find my motivation is how good I feel after a good workout. I feel better, I sleep better and the bonus is that I lose weight. 🙂 It’s definitely something that people need to do for themselves. With that mindset, it’s easy to stick to a plan. Thank goodness I’m not much of a people pleaser! 😉 Thank you for sharing. <3 🙂

Thank you Cherilyn! Post-workout feels amazing. It is quite addictive how good you can feel after. For me I suffer from procrastination, but once I do it I feel great.
      You have the perfect mindset. If more people saw fitness how you do, there would be less health resolutions being made. x

3. Melissa Gibbs says

I think this is a really fair and honest post! I felt the same way about my upper body back in high school and comparing myself to stuff online or classmates wasn’t a deep enough motivation to suddenly be determined to workout just because it was new years. It’s crazy how popular the resolution is in society though! I work at a sandwich shop and immediately when new years rolls around, everyone’s turning their noses at white bread and going for whole wheat or salad wraps. Staying fit is a huge commitment and takes time/energy. Fitness, like you said, has changed my life too.I think the reason I’ve been able to stick to it for so many years is precisely because I decided I’d do it for myself, not with the pressure of an on-trend social thing or because I felt forced to. I think this is a really thought-provoking post 🙂

Thank you Melissa!!
      It is kind of like with summer, people just drastically cut out all these things that they believe are bad and then expect to miraculously change.
      Doing it for yourself is the only good way to go about it. Once you take away the pressures and stop trying to look like someone else, you can slowly figure out what works for you.
      Resolutions are a nice idea but unless they are well thought out and practical, they just stick around in January right.