Comments

1. Jyo says

Such a nice write up….wonderfully structured. It seems that hypocrisy has gone beyond understandable when you see the articles in magazines….but seriously, after all this why do we still trust glossy magzines and hypocritical fashion houses.

Thank you! Magazines tend to tell you to be comfortable in your own skin whilst showing you the most airbrushed images. I don’t trust the media or most photos. But at the same time, I understand why people want to edit.

2. Infinite Living says

I admire how thorough you are in presenting your perspectives! Yes, you are so right. It is all fruits of the same tree. I personally don’t go for any editing but I do go through multiple pictures to choose the ‘perfect’ one to display.

Thank you! I always appreciate your comments. I think it is rare to find anyone who blogs or uses social-media and does not put pressure on themselves to create and find a perfect image.
      As much as I sometimes do not like the fakeness that comes with being online, I think everyone is a product of it, in some shape or form.

3. whatismaria says

Such an interesting and well written post! I think we have all been guilty of editing and retouching at some point in our lives (I never edit my face or body in photos but certainly like the occasional filter to give my pictures a more ‘polished’ look), which helps us understand why people who have thousands of followers and literally make an income from what they look like may be inclined to alter their photos. The best thing we can do is probably accept that social media is a business where everything is aimed at consumers and unless public mentality undergoes a drastic change, it is unlikely to become a fully realistic representation of daily life. And of course, being as transparent as possible ourselves certainly helps!

Thank you Maria! I have never used Photoshop – I don’t actually know how, but I do like filters and editing tools can be handy.
      I think you have summed it up really well. It is a business and too many people complain about unrealistic expectations of social-media, whilst editing and being a part of it. I wish that mentality could alter in some ways, but I think that the online world is too big of a marketing tool, to try and change it to a place for people to be honest and not to promote.